fe•lic•i•ty \fi-ˈli-sə-tē\ n , pl –ties 1 : the quality or state of being happy; esp : great happiness 2 : something that causes happiness…
(Webster's New American Dictionary)

Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Cure for Procrastination

It is near finals time and I, like most college students, have real problems procrastinating. It seems that we want to do whatever it is other then work, or the work that does not need to be done. Many a time I will find myself cleaning the kitchen (yes, I live with other guys and there are no wives to help us!) more them doing the work that I need to be doing.

This has been a serious problem for years and I have found the true cure! The problem is that we are working for the grade, we are working for ourselves. Honestly I believe that we need to be working for the Lord in all the things that we do. I see so many other young men today that have no motivation to achieve their dreams. Even their greatest (or so they think) desires are not strong enough to get them off of the couch. I say that they need to find something bigger than them.

“Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,”
- Col 3.22, 23

The way that we beat procrastination is to give our work to the Lord as an offering. Our love for Him and our desire to please His so great that it can revolutionize the way that we work. I put this into practice at my Ice Cream scooping job a few months ago. I had more joy in the things that I was doing. I literally was giving up to God the scoops that I put into cups that customers were going to buy. I was joyful, so much so that co-workers and customers alike asked why I was so happy. The people over we were amazed as well as to the sudden drive and attention to detail that I had in all my work.

I attempt to do the same in my school work as well. Often that means many more an hour at the computer and in books then playing video games and staring at walls with friends. I have to say that giving my work as a gift to the Lord has given me more motivation to do well then any other motivation that I can remember. Let this change your life and the way that you work.

"One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much.
- Luke 16:10

No comments: