I am Forest Gafford, and this is my blog. I have entitled this blog Forest’s Felicity because in it I will discuss the thing that brings me happiness. The question then is what is that thing…
I have found these proverbs to be helpful in my search.
“There is nothing better for a man then to eat and drink and tell himself that his labor is good. This also I have seen that it is from the hand of God. For who can eat and who can drink without him? For to a person who is good in His eyes He has given wisdom and knowledge and joy.”
Ecclesiastes 2.24-26
“I know there is nothing better for them then to rejoice and do good in ones lifetime; Moreover that every man who eats and drinks sees good in all his labor – It is the gift of God.”
Ecclesiastes 3.12-13
“Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink and to enjoy one’s self in all ones labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward. Furthermore, as to everyman to whom God has given riches and wealth, he has also empowered him to eat from them and to receive his reward, and rejoice in his labor, this is a gift of God. For he will not often consider the years of his life, because God keeps him occupied with the gladness of his heart.”
Ecclesiastes 5.18-20
Clearly throughout the entire book of Ecclesiastes Solomon comes to this same conclusion over and over again. The only thing that can gift true happiness, a happiness and joy that keeps one form nostalgic recollections of former times because of his current overflow of happiness, is God.
True happiness is not something that we can attain on our own. No, it instead is something that is gifted by God. So, this means that we should not be looking for it, but that we should be asking for it. If you read all the book it makes it clear that it is not the food or the drink he talks of that bring happiness, because that can be done without receiving happiness at all. So my felicity is not something that I can chase after, as though it could be caught (like chasing the wind [Ecc. 1.6], that so many people do). Solomon tried to find it and really found nothing but madness and grief; yes, even knowledge failed him, for nothing else can deliver what is God’s to gift. The best I can do is plead for happiness and joy when I ask for my daily bread in the name of Christ. In this we should will place my hope and hope will not disappoint.
One more thing, that even in the times of suffering and the times of pain there is the great hope of things promised by God.
"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” Matthew 5.4
Also there is a greater hope that God has gifted to all God’s children, the promise of the life to come. This promise should forever change the way His children view suffering and strife.
“But remember the former days, when, after being enlightened, you endured a great conflict of sufferings, partly by being made a public spectacle through reproaches and tribulations, and partly by becoming sharers with those who were so treated. For you showed sympathy to the prisoners and accepted joyfully the seizure of your property, knowing that you have for yourselves a better possession and a lasting one.”
Hebrews 10:32-34
So I have created this blog to share my heart and findings and so that others might share in the felicity that God has granted to me. Other men have taught and helped me in coming as far as I have in this great happiness. So similarly to the authors of scripture, I write these things so that both readers and I might have our joy made complete.
fe•lic•i•ty \fi-ˈli-sə-tē\ n , pl –ties 1 : the quality or state of being happy; esp : great happiness 2 : something that causes happiness…
(Webster's New American Dictionary)
(Webster's New American Dictionary)
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment